Medically, sleep apnea is described as a popular sleep disorder that is related to a person’s breathing. The problem happens when people’s breathing is interrupted and stopped while they are sleeping. Sleep apnea lasts for only 10 seconds or even more and can re-occur lots of times per night.
Sleep Apnea Causes
This sleep disorder is caused by blocked and narrowed airways in the mouth, nose and throat. Also, it happens as your brain did fail to convey signals to the breathing muscles.
Under a research conducted by the National Sleep Foundation, sleep apnea can impact over 20 millions Americans. It does not spare anyone else, even children. Nevertheless, the problem has more negative effects on males than females.
There are other risk factors causing this problem, including:
- Narrow throat
- Family history
- Frequent consumption of alcohol
- Being older than 60
- Excess smoking
- Sedatives and tranquilizers
- Heart diseases
Signs and Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
In fact, sleep apnea reveals some symptoms, including:
- Sleepiness during daytime
- Breathing cessation when sleeping
- Loud snoring
- bad sleeping quality
Those who have the following diseases are still at the higher risk of contracting sleep apnea:
- headache after waking up
- dry mouth
- attention issues
You should take a note that if left untreated, this sleep disorder can result in many other health matters such as heart diseases, diabetes, high blood pressure or depression. Therefore, whenever you suffer from sleep apnea, let’s have it treated properly. Apart from conventional treatments, there are a great number of home remedies, combined with lifestyle changes which are effectively applied to help relieve the symptoms of sleep apnea.
Here are top natural remedies for curing sleep apnea.
Chamomile is among best choice for sleep apnea treatment because it is packed with some chemical contents which help relax nerves or muscles, triggering sedation and then enhance the sleepiness. Besides, the anti-inflammatory properties present in chamomile helps remove the airways obstruction associated with snoring.
How to apply:
- Mix about two teaspoons of chamomile with a glass of hot water
- Have it covered and steeped for about 10 minutes
- After straining, mix it with some honey and cinnamon powder
- Consume the herbal tea one hour before your bedtime on a daily basis
Or, you can add chamomile oil to olive oil and massage your neck with the oil mixture. Apply the same process for several times per day.
Cinnamon contains sedative effect which is able to support your sleepiness and then curing breathing issues triggered by sleep apnea.
How to apply:
- Mix a teaspoon of ginger with cinnamon stick in c glass of hot water
- Get it boiled for several minutes before straining. After that, put a little honey in it
- Consume the solution before your bedtime
- You can choose to add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a glass of hot water. Sip it for only once per day
- Or, you can opt for creating a paste made by the combination of water and cinnamon powder and then rub it over the chest and forehand. Wait for some minutes before washing it off with water. Perform the same process as needed to help open the blocked passages.
In case you prefer other medicines, consult doctors before using it.
Lavender is widely used for treating some sleeping disorders, including sleep apnea. The sedative and soothing, along with relaxing aid in preventing muscle obstruction in your throat, thereby supporting your quality sleep.
How to apply:
- Mix several drops of lavender oil with a bathtub filled with hot water and then inhale steam before going to sleep
- Another way is to place some drops of the oil into a tissue and then tuck it and place it under the pillow before your bedtime.
- Alternatively, mix a teaspoon of lavender with a glass of hot water. Have it covered and steeped in 10 minutes. After straining, you can add honey. Consume the mixture for thrice per day.
Another good remedies for garlic that you can take into consideration is garlic. Using garlic helps cure sleep apnea. Because of its container of anti-inflammatory effect, garlic is effective in reducing the inflammation in your respiratory system, hence, providing you with an easier breathing while you are sleeping. In addition, it assists in alleviating your enlarged tonsils and then preventing snoring.
How to apply:
- Consume from two to three cloves of garlic before your breakfast with a cup of water
- Perform the same process on a daily basis till your inflammation as well as symptoms fade away.
- You can opt for adding garlic to the cooking. If you want to take any garlic supplement, let’s ask the doctor for proper dosage.
- Turmeric Milk
Interestingly, the mixture of milk with turmeric can aid in relieving the symptoms of sleep apnea. Basically, milk is loaded with amino acid which can promote the sleepiness. The anti-inflammatory present in turmeric can ease the inflammation in your respiratory system to make you easily breathe when sleeping.
How to apply:
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric with a glass of milk
- Get it boiled and leave it on several minutes
- Separate it from heat and insert some honey
- Consume the mixture each day in 30 minutes before your bedtime.